22nd July 2021
On Sunday 18th and Monday 19th July over 300 students, parents, teachers and guests took part in the 2021 Poetry By Heart finalists’ celebration event at Shakespeare’s Globe, London. Children and young people aged 7-19 from all over England performed 180 pages of poems on the magical main stage.
Poets Daljit Nagra, Jean Sprackland, Valerie Bloom, Patience Agbabi and Glyn Maxwell judged the 10 finalists in key stage of the Classic 2-poem competition and 10 more in a special 1-poem Celebration category. The 2021 national champions and special award recipients were:
• Classic Key Stage 2 – Romy – Beachborough School, Northamptonshire
• Classic Key Stage 3 – Jonathan – Silverdale School, Sheffield
• Classic Key Stage 4 – Elise – Rugby High School, West Midlands
• Classic Key Stage 5 – Michael – Aylesbury Grammar School
• Celebration – Indigo – Huntington Community Primary School, Cheshire
• Teacher Celebration – Debra – St Francis College, Hertfordshire
• Special Award – Sarah Leech, Oliver Lomax and students – Unsworth Academy, Greater Manchester
• Special Award – Natasha Sivadasan – Lister Community School, Newham, London
As well as enjoying all the fantastic poems performed by others, our finalists had a warm-up and rehearsal workshop for their own performance, a talk-tour about Shakespeare’s Globe theatre, a performance of As You Like it and a talk with poems by UK Poet Laureate Simon Armitage. We also hosted the announcement of the CLIPPA prize shortlist for the best children’s poetry published in the UK last year, with readings by shortlisted poets Manjeet Mann, Jane Newberry, Matt Goodfellow and Michael Rosen. The loud gasp when 300 people realised Michael Rosen was about to appear on stage will be one of our top memories for some time to come!
“Thank you for the whole of today. It was deeply inspiring as a teacher, so I can only imagine the effect might have been on the students.”
It was a magical day and close enough to midsummer for us to think of it as our own Midsummer Night’s Dream.
“Thank you for one of the most memorable experiences we’ve had for a long time.
Thank you for giving our students the opportunity to celebrate their success in one of the most exciting and iconic cultural locations in the world.
Thank you for being a beacon of hope in a trying year.
Thank you for somehow making this happen against all the odds.“
“I feel very privileged to have been able to come along and be part of such a special event. The performances were spectacular. It is a day I will remember for the rest of my life.”